Wednesday, January 26

Spinach and chickpea sabzi

One of my new year's resolutions is to make at least one recipe from every cookbook I own.

Erik and I discovered the concept of Indian burritos when we lived in the Bay Area in 2000-2001, at Avatar's Punjabi Burritos in Mill Valley. The combination of savory curry, delicately spiced rice, crisp sour pickles, and sweet chutney... it's divine.

Usually we make them at home with channa masala, fresh spinach, and plain rice. Tonight I thought I'd branch out and use a curry recipe from 30-Minute Indian. I bought the book a year or two ago after reading raves about it on someone's blog.

Spinach and chickpea sabzi

The spinach and chickpea sabzi was nice and simple-- mostly just cumin and coriander, with a bit of chili powder, lime juice, sugar, and amchur powder. I also mixed up a quick raita with plain soy yogurt, paprika, cumin, salt, green onions and cilantro. With a richly spiced rice (steamed with a cinnamon stick, bay leaves, cardamom pods and saffron) and mango chutney (made and canned by my mom) it was a delicious, complex combination.

Unfortunately the brown rice tortillas fell apart and had a terrible texture, so they had to be ditched. The sabzi was good in combination with the condiments, but a bit plain on its own. I'll try a few more recipes from the book, though, since they really are quick to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photos, original recipes and text © Susan Kelley 2012. All rights reserved. Please credit me and link back to this site, or ask first.

Always read ingredient labels carefully (and re-read periodically) to make sure that products actually are vegan and/or gluten-free.