Wednesday, April 21

Baking, or what I've been up to

It takes more time than I originally thought to set down my original recipes, so in the meantime, here are a few recipes from cookbooks and other folks that I've recently made and highly recommend.

Blueberry corn muffins

Recipe from Gluten Free Goddess. I made these small, for bite-size snacking, and they got some serious raves. Next time I will use a bit less xanthan gum, though. Maybe 1 tsp instead of 1 1/2 tsp. They'd also be delicious with dried cranberries or cherries.


Chocolate chip- pecan blondies

From "Gluten-Free Baking with the Culinary Institute of America," loaned to me by the magnanimous Kielly of Back to Eden bakery.

I added chocolate chips and pecans (instead of walnuts). The one thing this recipe is missing: salt. I would try 1/2 tsp when I make them again, which I definitely will. Substitute EnerG egg replacer (per package instructions) for the eggs and this recipe works beautifully. I also figured out the exact amount of each flour to use with the help of a calculator and my food scale, so that I didn't have to prepare 1 1/5 lbs of two different flour mixtures. The texture of these blondies is spot-on for delicious, chewy brownies with a fantastic golden, crusty edge. Yum!


Samosa baked potatoes

A fantastic idea from the "Veganomicon." I take some shortcuts by microwaving the potatoes and making the mash directly into the curry; and substitute my favorite curry powders and vegetables. Okay, I'm bad at following recipes-- it's the idea that matters!

I usually use tikka masala powder, amchur, a faux meat, peas and carrots in the filling. Sometimes I add more vegetables to make a hardier meal. Last night when I made these, I sprinkled cheddar Daiya on top of half to see if it added anything. It tasted delicious, but don't think it's a good use of the product-- these potatoes are incredibly flavorful on their own.



These are the best of the recipes I've tried in the last week. If you have any substitution suggestions, questions, or recipe recommendations of your own, please put them in the comments. I'd love to hear what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photos, original recipes and text © Susan Kelley 2012. All rights reserved. Please credit me and link back to this site, or ask first.

Always read ingredient labels carefully (and re-read periodically) to make sure that products actually are vegan and/or gluten-free.