Wednesday, November 24

Apple pie- crumb cake muffins


We were at Costco when I saw a giant box of my very favorite, short-season apples: honeycrisp. And they were local. But we were leaving town in a few days. What to do?

Well, I bought them with plans to eat one a day (check) and make an apple cake or muffins (check, although I still have eight apples). Turns out the cake involved making applesauce first, which I didn't have time for. So after much internet and cookbook research, I decided to make the temptingly-named apple pie-crumb cake muffins from Vegan with a Vengeance.

Apple pie- crumb cake muffins

To make these gluten free, I saw that the recipe called for a total of 1 3/4 cups of flour. So I mixed 3/4 C of Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free Baking Flour, plus 1/4 C each quinoa flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, and white rice flour. After thoroughly mixing those, I took out 1/4 C for the crumb topping, then added 1/4 tsp xanthan gum to the rest of the flour, to be used for the muffins.

To make fluffier mufins I used about 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in with the 3/4 C apple cider in the recipe. I also used about four times the amount of apple called for-- I just diced two big apples. It seemed overwhelming in the batter, but you can barely taste the apple in the muffins, so I'd use that much again. Although the "crumb" topping was runny at first and seems to have be absorbed back into the muffins, I will definitely make these again-- just using my own crumb topping instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photos, original recipes and text © Susan Kelley 2012. All rights reserved. Please credit me and link back to this site, or ask first.

Always read ingredient labels carefully (and re-read periodically) to make sure that products actually are vegan and/or gluten-free.