Tuesday, March 23

Oatmeal cream pies

When I saw these amazing oatmeal cream pies on Sugar-Skull.com I knew I had to make them. Tonight. Well, it actually turned out to be the next night, after a running-out-of-cat-food emergency.

At any rate, I followed the recipe as best I could, subbing 1 cup of Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour plus 1/2 cup barley flour for the 1 1/2 cups of "regular" flour; EnerG egg replacer instead of the flax eggs; added about 1/4 tsp of freshly grated nutmeg along with the cinnamon; and used the vanilla but not the cream cheese in the filling.

Mine spread out something awful and melded together at the edges, but they taste delicious and were quicker to make than other sandwich cookies I've tried.

I will likely make these again, using less margarine over all and subbing some of it out with applesauce, refrigerating the scooped cookie dough before baking (an not flattening the balls of dough), and making way less cream filling-- I have more than half of it left after all of the cookies are gone.

Oatmeal cream pies

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photos, original recipes and text © Susan Kelley 2012. All rights reserved. Please credit me and link back to this site, or ask first.

Always read ingredient labels carefully (and re-read periodically) to make sure that products actually are vegan and/or gluten-free.