Tuesday, November 30

Vegan in Kauai, part 2


Final Vegan Mofo post! I really enjoyed the inspiration and motivation to post every weekday for a month, even if I missed one day and had two slacker days on vacation. Overall the experience has really given new life to my cooking, eating, and blogging.

Yesterday, on the way to Waimea Canyon, we ate at Hanapepe Cafe. I think it bills itself as vegetarian, but they do have a few fish items (fish sandwich, tuna melt) on the menu. I had a Boca burger with teriyaki sauce and pineapple on it-- quite nice-- and they had gluten-free bread for no additional cost. While I know Bocas are not gluten free, it was nice to have the bread for lower-gluten content (if that's an option for you). A true vegan, gluten-free option would be their roasted veggie sandwich on the gf bread, and it looked delicious. They also had a couple of gluten-free bakery items, though none were vegan. Erik really enjoyed their gluten-free brownie.


Vegan personal pie at Hanalei Pizza

Tonight's dinner was pizza at Hanalei Pizza in the Ching Young Village Shopping Center in Hanalei. I had a caramelized onion, pineapple, and caper pizza that was really nice-- the highlight was the nice tomato sauce made with shiraz. Sadly, they do not have a gluten-free crust. They serve the pizzas on baking stones, a nice touch that keeps the crust crispy.

My favorite food here has definitely been shave ice. I've currently tried four different places, but none have yet earned my loyalty. Best so far was the place next to Kauai Outfitters where we were kayaking today, although I had it only once, on our first full day here. Second place so far is Brenneke Deli, suggested by our kayak guide and enjoyed today. I'm sad to have missed the two best places on the south shore (our first few nights), but we're close to two now here on the north shore (our last few nights) that I hope to try.

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photos, original recipes and text © Susan Kelley 2012. All rights reserved. Please credit me and link back to this site, or ask first.

Always read ingredient labels carefully (and re-read periodically) to make sure that products actually are vegan and/or gluten-free.