Tuesday, October 11

Blackstrap gingersnaps


Dinner was spaghetti with tomato sauce that Shetha and I made (and she canned) a few weeks ago. So I had to do something a little more interesting with dessert-- which is easier, of course, once the baby has gone to bed. I was in the mood for something with spices. With a quick flip through "Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar," I found a nice, short recipe for Blackstrap Gingersnaps. Yum!

Blackstrap gingersnaps

To make these gluten free, I used 1/2 C sorghum flour, 1/2 C coconut flour, 1/2 C Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All-Purpose Baking Flour, and 1/4 C buckwheat flour (for the 1 3/4 C all purpose flour). I'm not sure how much nutmeg I used, but it was fresh grated and smelled amazing. Fresh really makes all the difference.

Since I like chewy gingersnaps, I didn't squash the balls of dough flat. They stayed soft, but didn't quite cook all the way through. I tried a second round flattened, lowered the heat and baked them for a couple additional minutes, but they got a little dark around the edges. Oh well, they still taste great!

1 comment:

  1. They look great! I haven't tried that recipe yet but I love de-glutening recipes from VCIYCJ

    ReplyDelete

Photos, original recipes and text © Susan Kelley 2012. All rights reserved. Please credit me and link back to this site, or ask first.

Always read ingredient labels carefully (and re-read periodically) to make sure that products actually are vegan and/or gluten-free.